Monday, May 6, 2013

Writing and Research

One of the things I love about writing is the research that goes into the stories. For instance, in "ABR" (title is abbreviated because I am a nut about sharing my unpublished book titles), I researched the Vietnam Conflict because I have a character who was there. In "C", I researched architecture because the family home is a crucial component of the story. In "ER", I researched and continue to research a variety of topics, including Genesis from THE KJ HOLY BIBLE and the meanings of chakras. (The dictionary is telling me I have misspelled chakra, but my memory is telling me its correct.Do I bother to look it up?)
My research is sometimes from the Internet, or a book on the topic, or on occasion, interviews with people familiar with the topic.I love immersing myself in subjects that I am only vaguely familiar with simply because you can't not be familiar with the Vietnam Conflict or different architectural styles if you leave your house everyday. But my curiosity would keep me distracted all day if I let it. So at some point during my research, I have to accept that I will not be an expert on the token topic and fluff the details enough to give the impression that I know what I am talking about.
After reading THE SUMMER I DARED by Barbara Delinsky, I read an author's note (whether it was in the book itself or on her website or in a magazine article, I don't recall) regarding the details of raising angora rabbits for their fur (I think that was the animal - it's been a while.) The point I am trying to make is Ms. Delinsky wasn't born knowing about raising rabbits nor did she live on a rabbit farm growing up. She immersed herself into learning about the topic. The book wasn't about raising rabbits but it was a component of the story which gave it life. I could have easily assumed the author raised the little bunnies herself considering the ease in which she wrote about it.
But ... no amount of research will replace the good old fashion use of imagination, which will become abundantly clear in "ER." It's like me in the kitchen - I read a recipe but almost never follow the directions 100%-in the end, I still add to it or take from it depending on what I think will work or taste better.

No comments:

Post a Comment