Sunday, October 2, 2011

Response to Previous Comment

First - thank you for the kind words, but second - I found her comment that there was no action as of page 60 a constructive comment. I have received many comments over these past few months, mostly very positive ones that are generic such as "I really enjoyed the book." I have had several readers provide me with real constructive comments - such as "you have a good sense of imagery" and then proceed to provide me with specifics. You personally have provided me with lots of constructive comments - all positive. I actually really like that I have a comment that can be perceived as negative. As I said, I may consider that perhaps I need to take the action up a notch because I do ramble on (mostly in real life - not in my novels), but I also am aware that I am not going to change my writing style to accomodate my readers. I like the way I write but like many artists/writers, I will continue to critique my style to consider improvements.
In regards to my "self-justification" - I do that with or without comments from my readers. In a time when every minute counts in the American life, I feel the need to justify the time I take to write - not my writing style, etc. My novels do not at this point produce revenue. It does not do the housework. It does not exercise my body. It does not pay the bills. It does not decrease the paperload. Not only does it not accomplish any of these things, but it takes away from them. And don't get me wrong - I am completely aware that by allowing myself to write and honor my true self, I am a better person all around thus improving the quality of my life and those directly connected to me and who rely on me on a regular basis. But all it really boils down to is that it is an emotional struggle for me - not every minute of the day, not every day - more like an underlying shield. I know where the struggle and guilt stems from - I understand the psychological intricacies of it. I am also completely aware that I am responsible for dismissing the struggle and the guilt. The only person who can give me permission to be a writer is me, but it sure as shit is helpful that I have some great readers.
See what I mean - I ramble on...haha!!! Boy, a psychologist would have a field day with me. Do you think people who enter the psychology fields do so to better understand themselves, to get answers to their own questions? It is a rhetorical question - if you are not self-fascinated, you are avoiding. The obvious answer coming from one who is fascinated by people in general.
Good Lord, I love the use of words!
Carry on, then...

1 comment:

  1. Hi to all of you in C.L.Blogger-Land...I must confess right now that I am the Mother of C.L./I knew her before she was C.L.& what an adventure that was! I can attest to her telling that she loves words...she came into the world via the 'magic-chute' chatting and has yet to stop. Early schooling taught her how to capture these words by pen-to-paper morphing today to utilize all the 'tech-gadgets' I just scratch my head over. Words were her childhood friends and she entertained them non-stop; not really rambling for she did take breaks called sleep-eating-breathing-etc...but I am not 100% sure she really stopped even then.

    Being her proud MuM I would encourage avid readers to buy her book: read her words, have her characters come to life through your own eyes, discuss your perception with others, bring her book to the awareness of others by any means possible!! Her words have entered a book-form but they need the freedom to escape through our perusing the book...otherwise these little words stay locked between covers; no words should have to suffer so sad a fate. Buy the book; free the words and you will feel better for the doing...also I need C.L. to become rich & famous so she can support her MuM in her old age; just a thought?

    ReplyDelete