Saturday, October 1, 2011

October Greetings from C.L.LeMay

Happy October! A couple of things to go over. First, Blurb has increased the price of my books which really stinks because they are expensive enough as it is. You are still better off contacting me directly for a paperback rather than going through them. I still would appreciate everyone's continued efforts to check the blog out and then hit the link to THREE CROSSES. It keeps my numbers up which has a positive affect on goggle searches.
Next, I have recently heard from several people who have read or are reading THREE CROSSES currently. Overall, still some really great responses but got an interesting one last night. This reader is currently reading THREE CROSSES and said that although she likes my writing style and my details are good, nothing has happened so far. She was at page sixty. Not good from a publishing point of view to be at page 60 and there is no action. I don't think she's necessarily wrong - I was worried about lack of action before publishing THREE CROSSES. In her opinion, the book still works though. I am curious to hear other people's opinions on this. And please, do not feel obligated to stroke my ego. I am aware that I ramble on, both on the page and out of the mouth. I don't want to change my writing style, but am still wondering how my writing style affects the movement of the story. I consistently get messages from readers that state it is a fast moving story - which is usually an indication that there is action.
And the word on ABR is very similiar - easy to read, fast moving, intriguing, and so forth.
So I guess the question is this - does THREE CROSSES have enough action? I don't want to reformat THREE CROSSES or ABR, but I wonder now as I was just sitting down to work on ABR if I need to take it up a notch. I am character driven in my writing, but what can I say, I find people fascinating.
I can feel myself slipping into that mode where I question the validity of my skills, my talent, my writing ability. But I also feel myself pulling away from that mode. No matter how many years of trying to self-justify my writing and the time I put into and now more than ever, the time I want to put into it, it all boils down to the fact that I am a writer. Good or bad. And I believe more good than bad. I love words. I love reading. I love creating characters and situations. I love the feel of a pen in my hand or the keys tapping away under my fingers. I love a good movie with great characters and interesting story lines. And I love that when time allows, I can do this for hours and hours and be transported to wherever the story is. Nothing else exist during that time. It's like when you read a book that transports you somewhere else - it's an escape. An escape that unfolds as I write it.
Another piece of interesting news - a woman that I work with was in her local library recently, as she often is being an avid reader. She had a copy of THREE CROSSES with her and presented it to one of the employees there who happens to be in charge of the adult services. The librarian provided my friend with her business card and requested that I contact her because she would like to have a local author for the book club. I will let you know how that pans out. But isn't that wicked cool? (I really wanted to use the word wicked - I like it, besides, it's October). And many thanks to my friend who obviously wants to see me succeed:)

2 comments:

  1. You can't allow one persons "opinion" to cause you to question your writing style or ability!

    By the time I got to page 60 of your book I was totally hooked on the story-line and characters. At the same time I was totally enjoying the pace of the story.....there is plenty of action! Building "anticipation" is an art that you have mastered.

    Also, it is your amazing attention to detail in relation to both the characters and their environment....that keeps the story engrossing.

    You dont't have to "self-justify" your writing style or ability....your readers have already done that for you by reading and enjoying the fruits of your love of writing.

    The Poetry Guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Good-The Bad-The Ugly
    Throughout a writing lifetime these are characters one will encounter...make them our Teachers not our Sculptor...Let not ego be fragile to any one of them for in so doing one will bankrupt individuality; one will sell off passion to their whims. Value the honest opinions of others for they do carry merit but never let self be compromised by mere opinions. Always let Heart, Head and Hand be our guide then creative style will shine forth as one wishes it to; Never manipulating one's style to bend to what one thinks others might expect for them to deliver...
    Critique will get our reactive attention faster than words of honey...both are instrumental and needed for they help shape our thought but no one owns our thought but us...
    ...To Thine Own Self be True...
    and damn the torpedoes

    ReplyDelete