Friday, April 8, 2011

The Art of Writing - 1

I want to preface this entry with a quick note. (Turns out it was not so quick)
Many of my posts have very little to do with writing unto itself. Not because I don't want to discuss it, but because there is more to my life than writing. However, I find myself not disclosing much of my personal life in the blogs either simply because it is personal and I don't like to share personal stuff - good and bad - via the internet. It's not personal anymore if I announce it for all the world to see. And I am a feeeeling kind of person. I feeeel my way through life, exploring like an ant does with my antenna (what's the plural form of that?) probing my surroundings and adjusting my movements based on my discoveries. I am way too aware that people say and do things in life that are not necessarily true reflections of their genuine selves. Some of you will get this and some of you won't. Not a bad thing. Not a good thing. It's just how I live and how some other people live. I am often aware of why people do the things they do even when they don't understand it themselves. Many people have accused me of being too sensitive, or too analytical, and a few have perceived me as very intuitive. Either way, I don't share too much personal life stuff (except with a few people who are accustomed to me and my ways) because I seldom am quick to react to a situation. I wait (sometimes too long) for others to figure out their motivations or if I point out the unscene motivation behind their actions, I get myself into trouble. Sometimes they become aware of what I am saying, sometimes not. Sometimes I am just simply wrong about it. And other times I will convince myself that I am wrong, when I wasn't. Confused yet? Or are you one of those people thinking, "is she talking about me?" I'm not talking about anyone in particular, so stop thinking that.

So what does all this have to do with the art of writing? Well, a lot actually. Writing allows me to work through my perceptions of the human condition, including their personal motivations. Gives me a forum where I can place characters in a situation and watch them unravel the strings. Sounds mundane now that I say it.

I think I lost my train of thought. I got sidetracked. Hmmm...what was I going to say? It was...oh wait! Now I remember.
I have been asked on more than several occasions where do I get my ideas for my books and characters. I usually provide the simple, uncomplicated answer - "It just comes to me." Most people who get that answer are content enough with that answer and we move on to another topic. But a few will push and want a better explanation. So here goes. This is the only way I can really describe where I get my ideas from. Imagine if you will a story that has yet to be written. The characters, the setting, the situation, the action, the interaction, the outcome. All unknown but they still exist - somewhere in space or time or perhaps another dimension. Now imagine me, the author, as a medium between that unknown world and here. Those characters, stiuations, etc. have discovered that they can tap on my brain to get my attention or maybe I just pickup on them like radiowaves or lightwaves that other people can't hear or see. And if I pay enough attention, I can see their images, their location, their situations. I get the information in little glimpses. Maybe a name will pop into my head. Then suddenly I might see the hair color or some little detail that goes along with that name. And then I wonder what is the significance of that detail. What difference does it make that Thadius has a touch of red in his hair? Which leads me to wonder why his hair is long in the first place. Etc., etc. And then I am at liberty to bridge the gaps between all those glimpses to create a storyline.
Well, that's it for now. I will return will more of The Art of Writing - C.L.Lemay style, of course. And I haven't proofread this entry, nor will I. SO I apologize now for any misspellings, poor grammar, blunders, and verbal mishaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment